Want to make the recipe in the video above? We’ve compiled the simple instructions below. Try it out and let us know how you like it!View Chef Tu’s Pop-Up Events
Charred Tuna Sashimi w/ Brown Buttered Onion
by Chef Tu David Phu
Want to impress your friends with little to no effort? This is the perfect recipe for you. All it takes is just a few tools and sushi-grade tuna.
- 1/4 lb fresh tuna, center cut loin
- 1 whole onion
- 1/2 lemon
- 3 tbsp salt
- 1/2 lb butter
- 1/4 c. neutral frying oil
- Togarashi for garnish
Prepare Brown Buttered Onions
- Peel & half onions. Then, very carefully, slice razor thin using a mandolin.
- Pre heat skillet with oil. Then start browning onions, stirring and folding often. This can take a while so be patient!
- Once onions start to brown, add butter and brown butter with onion.
- Season with a few pinches of salt. Be sure to taste it!
- Remove tuna skin and slice into sashimi sized slices.
- Tip: cut against the grain.
Assemble & Plate Dish
- Season tuna with salt and dress tuna with fresh squeeze of lemon.
- Garnish with rosettes of warm, brown-buttered onions
- Drizzle brown butter from skillet
- Using a blowtorch, brûlée Tuna for 5 seconds on all sides.
- Generously sprinkle seaweed seasoning.