This impressive, two-part dessert looks stunning on the plate but is surprisingly easy to make. Black tahini, made with black sesame seeds instead of white, gives this vegan “flan” its striking color. You can find it at your local health food store or online. Learn more about black tahini here. The richness of the sesame gets perfectly complemented by the sweet and tangy mango sorbet, a one-ingredient wonder that you’ll want to have in your freezer at all times.
Black Sesame Flan
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon black sesame tahini
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons agar agar powder (for thickening)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- salt to taste
- Set aside a 1/3 cup size mold or measuring cup.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine all ingredients and stir constantly.
- Reduce the heat when the mixture begins to boil. Continue stirring for five minutes or until the agar agar powder dissolves completely.
- Remove from the heat and pour directly into your mold or measuring cup.
- Refrigerate for at least two hours. Un-mold and serve with mango sorbet (recipe follows).
- 1 cup fresh mango, peeled and chopped into chunks
- Freeze mango chunks for three to four hours.
- Remove from freezer and blend in a food processor.
- Scoop and serve immediately or freeze until 15 minutes prior to serving.
Learn more about the chef: read Salimatu’s story here.