How cute are these little guys? There’s nothing like a little optical illusion to make eating dessert even more fun than it already is. This vegan ice “cream” gets its creamy consistency from almond milk, coconut oil, and of course, avocado. The simple chocolate truffles are divine on their own, but even more adorable as the pits! Although this recipe serves two, it can be easily multiplied to feed a crowd…and it will most definitely be a crowd-pleaser.
Mint Avocado Ice Cream
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1-2 drops peppermint oil
- salt to taste
- Slice the avocado in half lengthwise.
- Remove the pit and scoop out the flesh into a blender or food processor. Discard pit but set the shells aside.
- To the blender or food processor, add the almond milk, coconut oil, maple syrup, peppermint oil, and salt.
- Blend until smooth.
- Scoop the blended mixture into the avocado shells and smooth flat with a butter knife.
- Place the filled avocado halves into the freezer until firm.
- 5 tablespoons coconut butter
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 heaping tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon cacao powder (for dusting)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- salt to taste
- Blend the coconut butter, vanilla extract, cacao powder, maple syrup, and salt until well combined.
- Roll the chocolate mixture into two balls and dust with cacao powder.
To assemble the dessert:
- Remove the frozen avocado halves from the freezer.
- Scoop out a small hole in the center of the avocado ice cream – large enough to fit a chocolate truffle.
- Gently place the truffle in the hole and place the avocado halves back into the freezer.
- To give the dessert time to thaw, remove it 10 minutes prior to serving.
Learn more about the chef: read Salimatu’s story here.