The inspiration for this recipe came from a desire to enhance the simple salad, and I was looking for flavors that blended well with our other Filipino-inspired dishes. These garlic-coconut croutons were the result. They’re perfect as a salad topping…or as a snack, hot off the baking tray.
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
5 finely-minced garlic cloves
¼ cup melted butter
½ cup unrefined coconut oil (melt over warm heat like butter)
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
½ teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
3 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 additional teaspoon of salt
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Slice baguette into ½ inch cubes, place into a large bowl, and set aside.
- Place minced garlic into a bowl and add the 1 tsp salt, pepper, crushed pepper,and rosemary.
- Add the melted butter and coconut oil to the bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Pour half of the mixture over the sliced bread and mix evenly using your hands.
- Pour the remaining mixture over the bread and mix evenly.
- Transfer bread to a baking pan in a single layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 tsp of salt evenly over the bread cubes.
- Bake for 12-15 mins or until golden brown.