If you hear the words “superfood dessert” and squirm, I’ve got the fix. This four-ingredient, four-step, no-churn avocado ice cream is it. Not only is it luscious, creamy, and delicious, but it’s also healthy(ish) and packs all the benefits of the avocado! At my recent pop-up, I served this it with semolina-coconut cake and jaggery-rose-cardamom syrup…and it got rave reviews!
Prajakta Bhounsule is a San Francisco-based Indian chef. With her pop-ups, she showcases unexpected dishes from all over India, especially those that are not represented in American restaurants.
No-Churn Avocado Ice Cream
- 1 avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream OR full-fat coconut cream (for vegan)
- Lemon juice
- Vanilla extract (optional)
- Chocolate chips, pistachios, almonds, berries (optional mix-ins)
- Using a stand or hand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the heavy cream or coconut cream until soft peaks form.
- In a blender, blend avocado, lemon juice, and the sweetened condensed milk into a smooth puree.
- Fold the avocado mixture into the whipped cream. If adding optional mix-ins, fold them in at this stage.
- Pour into a freezer-friendly container, cover with cling wrap, and freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.