It’s the perfect time of year for ceviche! Ceviche is a dish served throughout the Americas and is traditionally prepared with seafood. Our spin features hearts of palm as the main ingredient, which is the inner core of some palm tree varieties. This raw dish is easy to prepare and can be served as a starter or a side dish.
There is an array of hearts of palm packaging with slightly different textures and flavors – some come pre-sliced in bags and others can be found canned and jarred in cylinders. Find your favorite brand, flavor, and consistency to perfect your fresh and hearty (no pun intended) ceviche recipe. My preferred brand is Native Forest.
I love the freshness of this dish on warm summer days in LA. Pair your hearts of palm with local farmer’s market produce. Make it your own by adding other citrus flavors and your favorite tomato variety.
Hearts of Palm Ceviche
- 8 oz. hearts of palm (canned, jarred, or from a bag)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 medium heirloom tomato
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse the hearts of palm and dice into 1/4-inch pieces.
- Marinate diced hearts of palm in lemon juice for one hour.
- Dice cucumber, tomato, and avocado. Add to marinated hearts of palm.
- Finely dice jalapeño and finely chop the cilantro. Add to the mixture.
- Gently toss the ingredients together and top with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy with your favorite chips or tostadas!