What’s better than a vegan carrot celeriac soup? One that is flavored with mint, tarragon, and ginger. Loaded with nutrition from Beluga lentils which are easy to digest and high in protein. Walnuts add rich texture to the soup without making it feel too heavy. Walnuts also add “healthy” fat that is nourishing to the brain and the heart while supporting healthy cholesterol levels. Warm and earthy, this soup will melt away the stresses of your day with heart-healthy flavors.
Vegan Carrot Celeriac Soup With Walnut & Beluga Lentils
- 1/4 cup Beluga (black) lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- Water (to cook lentils)
Vegan Carrot Celeriac Soup:
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1/2 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1/2-inch ginger, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 small celeriac root, peeled and quartered (reserve leaves for garnish)
- 3 carrots, ends trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
- 4 teaspoons mint
- 3/4 teaspoons tarragon
- Juice of 1 lime
Make the Beluga Lentil Garnish:
- In a small pan, combine the lentils and bay leaf with enough water to cover by 1 inch.
- On high heat, bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat and cover, cooking for 20 minutes or until done. These lentils retain their shape after cooking. They are done when they are soft (i.e. you can easily squish them between 2 fingers).
- Strain and set aside.
Make and Assemble Soup:
- While the lentils are cooking, pour oil into a small pan and warm on medium-low heat.
- Add onion, garlic, and ginger. Sprinkle with salt and cayenne.
- Saute until the onions are soft.
- Add the celeriac, carrot, and water. The vegetables should just be covered. If you had too much water, the soup will have a thinner consistency.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Transfer the soup to a high-powered blender. Add the walnuts, mint, tarragon, and lime juice. To avoid burns, fill the container to 1/3 capacity and blend in batches.
- Place lid on blender and drape a dishcloth over the lid to ensure that hot soup doesn’t escape through the steam holes on to you or your walls.
- Puree until smooth.
- Ladle the soup into 2 bowls and spoon the lentils into each one. Garnish with celeriac leaves.* Serve immediately.
*Optional: garnish with a tablespoon of plain yogurt (select a vegan yogurt for it to remain vegan).